Thursday, January 14, 2010

Shin-nen kai

My friend Cameron teaches English to a fun group of ladies, and I've subbed for her a couple times. They treated us to a Shin-nen Kai (New Year's party) at a fancy hotel. We had a multi-course traditional Japanese meal in a tatami room, followed by dressing in kimono and singing karaoke. During lunch, snow fell in the garden outside our tatami room.

Sashimi course. There was plenty more food than this, but this struck me as the prettiest (and most delicious.)


Cameron and me in kimono. They're complicated to put on. A kimono expert even came to help the ladies dress us.


This kimono and obi (silver waist tie) belongs to one of the ladies, and I got to wear it for the day.



Beautiful ladies


Gettin' jiggy in the karaoke room! Cameron could sing some Japanese songs. I sang "Thank God I'm a Country Boy." They sang many older Japanese love songs, as well as some dance beats.
It was a magical day.




No comments:

Post a Comment