Friday, January 22, 2010

Filler

You'd think after 4+ years of waiting for this kid, I'd have everything ready and organized, be an expert on child development, medical care, attachment, etc. I used to imagine leisurely reading in a rocking chair, just learning everything I possibly could about the little munchkins.

The reality is, I have read a lot, asked a lot, observed, babysat, gone to classes, listened to podcasts, acquired baby stuff, put the crib together, filled a suitcase with stuff for the trip. But I still feel disorganized, and at some point we have to just do it. We do have a lot ready. Today Handyman Keith came to install a baby gate at the top of the stairs, secure some furniture (most of our walls our cement, so better to use his drilling skills.) I think traveling to China and a little around Asia has been some of our most important preparation. I'm torn about language - enjoying learning Japanese by immersion (and study), but wanting to learn more Mandarin (then there's the issue of regional Chinese languages & dialects.)

My new friend Yaoyao came over today with her two-year-old daughter. Yaoyao is Chinese, now Chinese-American. She is fluent in Mandarin, English, and Japanese. I liked hearing her positive perspective on adoption from China by foreigners. Best of all, her daughter is adorable, and got along very well with Doraemon & Ralph.

Groceries. Middle-right in the orange & red package is "kaki pi." When I tell my off-base friends "Kaki pi ga daisuki desu" (they're my favorite), the jubilant response is always "good with beer!"

Ralph scoping out the fridge.

Our tracking calendar


Bowling with my tomodachi (friends)

Bottom line: getting ready and organized, but having "relax time" too!

No comments:

Post a Comment