Friday, October 17, 2014

University of Tampa visit


My conference was just across the river from my old university (class of '92.)  This is the back of Plant Hall, the old Plant Hotel.  My friends & I used this entrance all the time to go to classes and pass through to the post office, cafeteria, library, and Plant Park.  Smiley Hall (where I lived 2 years) is just out of view.


Friday after the conference, I met with Tina and Sandie in Plant Hall, then we toured the campus giggling and telling everyone "we're alumni!!"  We hadn't been together there since 1992.  Sandie used to work in the library, so found a librarian she worked with.  We visited the pool and talked with the swim coach (who was there when we were.)

Tina & I roomed together in Smiley Hall in 1989-90.  Sandie showed up as a freshman across the hall.  We all hit it off and Sandie became an honorary ROTC member (and she will never be able to disentangle herself from that!)


At the computer center, where we and many of our friends spent hours on programming projects.  And getting snacks and drinks in the lobby.  Sandie and Tina both worked as student assistants in the computer center, handing out floppy disks and such!

 University of Tampa at night - always breathtaking!

 at Bahama Breeze on the bay
I had a lot of mocktails on this trip.  But that night I did have a Red Stripe because a guy was singing reggae songs.  That day we spent at Clearwater Beach.  It was gorgeous.  But Sandie & I were in the water when a whistle blew and fish started jumping and swimming crazily.  I thought I saw a shark swimming at us, so swam as fast as I could to shore.  Sandie just laughed, and I promised to save her next time.  I still think it was thrilling, and now I'm obsessed with sharks, just like Ariel.  The shark didn't stop me from swimming some more!

 at "Beer Can Beach" on the tip of Davis Island (in the bay)
I spent a lot of time in college running, walking, and biking in the winding, scenic neighborhoods of Davis Island.  I even swam at beer can beach sometimes, but it was prettiest at night.

 Plant Park at the university

 Sandie and Tina at Sticks of Fire (it's what "Tampa" means)

 Just like 24 years ago!  But this time, no studying.

 Meeting up with old ROTC friends at Hula Bay.  This is Eric, our little friend, now all grown up and a successful photographer in Austin.

 Brett, Sandie, and Eric reminiscing about alligators.

Selfie with Tina!
Let's do this Tampa trip again!

No comments:

Post a Comment