Wednesday, February 24, 2010

orange pagoda & noodle shop

Today I met with new friend, Aoi. She wants to practice English, and I want to practice Japanese. Her English is much better than my Japanese! Mainly, we want to be friends. We are about the same age. Aoi has three young boys, so we had a good time browsing through Babies R Us. She could help me decipher many of the products (the Japanese have thought of everything you never knew you needed.) The baby food here looks especially yummy and healthy. We also had lunch at Joyful Honda (a home department store) next to Babies R Us.

Then I drove around Tamako (lake Tama) to visit this striking orange pagoda. It is so bright. Behind it is a hillside with dragon sculptures, temple grounds, a big cemetery.

It's so close to Yokota, I can bike there. But I don't think many Yokotans know about it. Driving there is tricky. I rely on my GPS here, even when biking.


This is from yesterday. Noodle lunch with the English class.
Heather, Kayoko, Matsuko.
We sit on the floor for this lunch.

Cold soba noodles and tempura.
Delicious!
I thanked them for the Japanese lesson.




3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting such great pictures. Your blog is turning into an impressive travelogue! You have visited a lot more places and experienced more of the local culture than when I lived there. Makes me miss Japan, esp the food...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be here... looks awesome... I can teach you to count to 99 in Japanese :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your travels with us! I enjoy seeing your pictures and reading about your experiences. Love learning about other cultures, and you do a great job explaining...

    ReplyDelete