Saturday, January 21, 2012

tofu cheese and pottty head

It's been almost 6 months since I transitioned to veganism.  I experiment a lot in the kitchen, and probably spend too much time there.  My friend Bridget, who's vegetarian and likes to cook vegan (and has a cute baby and dog) likes to exchange foods with us.  She cooks some good stuff!

This day I was making "tofu cheese" by frosting a block of extra-firm tofu (pressed) with miso paste.  Miso paste is fermented soybeans and comes in many flavors/varieties.  After letting the frosted tofu sit for 8 hours, and up to 3 days, you scrape off the miso paste (and save it for other uses.)  I sliced the tofu and ate it on crackers.  Really good!  I've learned lots of ways to get creamy, healthy textures for dips, soups, etc., without using dairy.  It's better for the cows.  I've learned most dairy cows do not live happy lives.  So tofu cheese it is, for me anyway.  I've read a lot of people have trouble giving up cheese, but I don't miss it.  There are so many other foods and flavors to enjoy.

 We've all been listening to Patrick Swayze's memoirs in the car.  So we decided to watch Dirty Dancing.  By the end of the movie, I noticed Ralph affectionately curled up next to Nene (and she was a little suspicious.)

Taking our time with potty training.  She prefers to wear the basin as a hat, and just sit on the hole like a real toilet.  This potty is a special hand-me-down from the Sweeneys.


No comments:

Post a Comment